See your personal data making a Subject Access Request (SAR)

Under General Data Protection Regulations, you have the right to ask us for a copy of all the information we have about you. This is called a Subject Access Request (SAR).

There are some exemptions where we aren’t required to show you the information. The main ones are if the information relates to:

  • Our regulatory functions
  • Preventing or detecting crime
  • Apprehending or prosecuting of offenders
  • Where disclosing the information would be likely to prejudice any of the above
  • We don’t have to tell you if any exemptions have been applied to any information that we may provide, or whether we have withheld any information or why.

Need help?
If you need further help with requesting the information we hold about you, please call us on 0161 832 9361.

You can also email us at

How to make a ‘subject access request’ to see the personal data we hold about you.

We do not charge for a Subject Access Request. However in cases where the Society deems the request to be manifestly unfounded, excessive or where additional copies are requested a reasonable fee may be charged to cover administration costs.

You need to apply in writing. We recommend that you download and use our Subject Access Request Application Form, although you don’t have to.

Once we’ve received your application, we’ll get back to you within 30 calendar days.

We’ll send all correspondence to the home address or email address that you give us.

If you have submitted the request via your legal representatives, you still need to complete our form in full and provide proof of identity. We’ll then send our response to your legal representatives’ registered offices.

Proof of identity
We have a duty to ensure that the information we process is secure, so we may need to see proof of your identity. We may need two different documents as evidence of your name and current address – such as your passport, birth certificate, driving licence and utility bill.

You can send certified copies (by an accountant, solicitor, bank clerk, post office official, minister of religion, judge/magistrate, company director or doctor), but we may need to ask to see original documents.

If other people are involved
We don’t have to give you any information that might identify any other individual unless that person agrees. If you believe that any information we hold about you may identify another person, you may have to get that person’s written consent. That should be submitted to us with this application, along with their proof of identity (to the same standard as is required for yourself).

Help us to find the information
Please try to specify the nature of the information that you are seeking and its possible location if known (eg who in our organisation was/might be dealing with the matter).

Don’t try to get someone else’s personal data
Please note that trying to obtain personal data to which you are not entitled may be a criminal offence.

Where to send your request
When you have completed the Subject Access Request Application Form, please send it with your proof of identity to:

Data Protection Advisor
The Oddfellows
Oddfellows House
184-186 Deansgate
M3 3WB

If you send an incomplete form we may send it back to you. And if suitable proof of identity and payment are missing, we will put your request on hold until you send us the missing items.

Please let our Data Protection Advisor know if you have any special requirements and we will try to take these into account.

Find out more
If you have any questions, send them to our Data Protection Advisor.

If you’d like to find out more about your rights under data protection laws, please have a look at the General Data Protection Regulations. You can also find out more from the data protection regulator at the Information Commissioner’s Office (